Leading accident and injury law firm, Accident Advice Helpline, has identified some useful tips for anyone unfortunate enough to have to change a tyre by the side of the road.
Top accident injury claim law firm, Accident Advice Helpline, knows the difficulties and dangers associated with changing a tyre at the side of a busy road and have issued some helpful tips for motorists to deal with the situation safely. The speed of passing traffic can be a particular danger when changing a wheel and it is hoped that these tips may help to prevent unnecessary accidents and injuries.
Safety tips identified by the company include:
- If at all possible, pull off the roadside altogether so that passing traffic is not a threat
- Do not try to change a wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway – call for help from a roadside recovery service
- Turn on your hazard lights and if you carry a warning triangle in the boot, put it out at the side of the road a short distance from your car
- Put the handbrake on and put the car into first gear
- Only use the designated car jack points, otherwise the car may slip off the jack
- If a space saver spare is used, check the maximum recommended speed (sometimes only up to 50mph) before driving off
- Replace or repair the damaged tyre as soon as possible
A spokesperson from Accident Advice Helpline had this to say about the dangers of changing a tyre by the roadside,
“This is a dangerous task at any time of day, but if it is dark and wet it may be worthwhile phoning for assistance from a roadside recovery service. They will have access to strong lighting and equipment that will reduce the risk factor and keep everyone safe, including the driver.”
Accident Advice Helpline is a leading UK accident injury claim law firm that offers help to anyone who has been involved in a no-fault car accident. For anyone thinking of making a claim their 24 hour helpline can be reached on 0800 689 0500 or from your mobile on 0333 500 0993.
Date Published: September 2, 2013
Author: David Brown