After recent inspections which aimed to protect customers from food poisoning, Tesco supermarkets came out on top when it came to poor hygiene standards. 1,798 stores were inspected, with 29 failing due to poor hygiene. Other supermarket chains had stores which didn’t pass the Food Standard Agency’s (FSA) basic checks between 2012 and 2013 either. Asda, Morrisons, Aldi and Sainsbury’s also suffered failed hygiene inspections at some of their stores, whilst Lidl and Waitrose passed all their inspections.
The checks by the FSA included hygiene practices at 11,106 supermarkets in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. 510 of the supermarkets did not maintain acceptable hygiene standards. With each premise receiving a rating between zero and five, receiving a two or below meant the store had failed to meet the standards required.
Out of 1,789 Tesco stores, five failed hygiene inspections with a ‘one’ rating. Five out of 440 Asda stores failed whilst four of the 994 Sainsbury’s stores inspected also failed. Morrisons and Aldi fared better, with just two out of 516 Morrisons stores failing and one of the 382 Aldi stores failing to meet standards.
A Tesco spokesperson commented, “We take food safety and store hygiene extremely seriously and ensure all our shops are checked thoroughly on a daily basis. While any reported low score is clearly disappointing, these stores represent just one per cent of our shop estate in the UK.”
Trust your supermarkets
When you shop at your local supermarket, you trust them to handle, package and store food properly, in hygienic conditions. Supermarkets regularly handle raw poultry, meat, eggs and other foods which can spoil or cause food poisoning if not properly stored and handled. If you have been struck down by food poisoning after consuming food bought at your local supermarket, it may be that it was already contaminated. You should contact the supermarket in question, as they may have had reports of other people who have been affected. You may find you’re able to claim compensation – contact a personal injury lawyer for advice.
Source: Daily Mail