How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Tenant overcome by poisonous fumes

    By David Brown on August 14, 2014

    When William Tumilty moved into his ground-floor flat in May last year he had no idea the property was a potential death trap.

    Unbeknown to Mr Tumilty, 59, the gas-fired heater in his Sproughton, Ipswich, apartment had been wrongly serviced the month before by Greg Ranson, an Ipswich-based engineer who was Gas Safe-registered.

    Because of the mild spring, the tenant didn’t switch his heating until November. When he did, the gas fumes instantly made Mr Tumilty feel sick during the hours the heater was activated.

    On day three of having the heating on, he collapsed unconscious and did not wake up until more than 12 hours afterwards.

    The family living above his flat, a couple and their two-year-old toddler, also required hospital attention after being hit by the fumes.

    Carbon monoxide

    Mr Tumilty was diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning when he went to hospital.

    A subsequent Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the heater had been wrongly serviced.

    Its officials discovered that the heat exchanger had been left uncleaned and uninspected during the service, leading to an accumulation of fine dust. This left dangerous combustion by-products with nowhere safe to escape.

    Ipswich magistrates sentenced Ranson to an 18-month jail term suspended for a total of 18 months during Tuesday’s (August 12) hearing.

    Ranson was also told to pay £1,500 across his three victims as well as £813 costs. He admitted guilt to breaching the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.

    Anthony Brookes, an HSE inspector, said afterwards that the case shows the diligence and care required to make gas-fired heaters safe for use.

    Compensation calculator can help you

    If you’ve suffered a personal injury you can work out roughly how much is due to you by trying out Accident Advice Helpline’s compensation calculator.

    Accident Advice Helpline, with its team of trusted solicitors, can help you win claims for carbon monoxide poisoning and/or landlord negligence. The respected national law company provides a no-win, no-fee service and a round-the-clock free advice helpline on 0800 689 0500.

    Source: Gov.uk

    Share On

       

    Date Published: August 14, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.