A road accident can be a difficult and traumatic time. A lot of injuries can occur as a result of a crash, regardless of whether it is in a car, on a bike, motorbike or on foot. It is worth knowing what can potentially happen to you, so that you can show an injury occurred as a result of an accident that was not your fault.
The Top Ten Injuries
Sadly the following are the top injuries that are likely to occur as a result of a road accident-
- Connective tissue injuries- The most common condition that occurs after a road accident. If you feel pain in your back or neck you need to see a doctor immediately as this is likely to be a symptom of more serious conditions.
- Head trauma- This occurs when you hit your head in an accident. This is not to be confused with brain trauma, something that can also happen if you hit your head. While brain damage is potentially more serious head trauma can also be serious and it is vital to get any head injuries checked as soon as possible.
- Brain trauma- One of the most serious problems that can affect you and can potentially devastate your life.
- Back injuries- If you or someone involved in an accident is suffering from severe back pain then you should not move them unless necessary (for example if they are near a fire).
- Spinal cord damage- The most severe form of back injuries. Again do not move people with spinal cord damage unless absolutely essential.
- Neck injuries- Look out for pain and stiffness. This can either be whiplash or a symptom of a potential chronic condition.
- Internal organ damage- This can occur when hit with blunt force trauma. Damage to the ribs and other parts of the body may not always be immediately obvious, which is why it is always a good idea to see your doctor after an accident, even if you are not immediately concerned about your symptoms.
- Knee injuries- These can cause the most long term damage and will often require extensive rehabilitation.
- Lower limbs- Your legs tend to be vulnerable when in a car because of your sitting position. Without the protection of a car (say if you are riding a bike or a motorcycle) you are even more vulnerable.
- Upper limbs- Arms and shoulders are often damaged due to people reacting to the impact. As the body tenses up this can increase the risk of injuries.
Why you should contact Accident Advice Helpline
Before contacting Accident Advice Helpline you need to get medical treatment. Furthermore this means you have a record of medical treatment that can be included as part of a claim. If you want to pursue a claim for an accident that wasn’t your fault we can help.
The helpline is available 24 hours a day and there is always someone to guide you through the process. Contact us today to see what we can do for you!
Category: Road Traffic Accident Claims