A teenage agency worker had to have a finger amputated after his hand was pulled into a machine at a metal manufacturing plant, a court has been told.
Hampshire-based Independent Ductwork Limited admitted breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act when it appeared before magistrates.
Agency worker was only 18
The company, of Stephenson Road, Basingstoke, was fined £6,000 for the safety failings and ordered to pay costs totalling £1,381.35.
Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court heard that the accident at work happened in October 2014.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told the court that the 18-year-old man had been operating a three-roll machine when his gloved fingers were pulled into it.
As a result he sustained a hand injury and later had to have his index finger amputated.
‘Fingers shouldn’t have been gloved’
Guidance issued by the HSE says that because gloves with fingers raise the risk of entanglement they should not be worn when anyone uses the type of machinery which caused the worker’s personal injury.
The HSE strives to cut work-related deaths, injuries and ill health by providing and revising regulations, carrying out inspections, promoting training and giving firms advice and information.
Source: Health and Safety Executive
Date Published: October 3, 2015
Author: Jonathan Brown