How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Suspended jail term for plumber

    By David Brown on November 29, 2014

    A plumber has been given a suspended jail sentence after he carried out gas work without being on the Gas Safe Register.

    Christopher Buck, of Mansfield Road, Bolsover, in Derbyshire, was also ordered to pay costs of £748 and do 200 hours of unpaid community work after he admitted breaching Regulations 3(3) and 26(9) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

    He was given a six-month prison sentence, suspended for a year.

    No safety checks carried out

    Northern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court was told that Buck worked in a number of buildings between December 2012 and February this year without being registered.

    He knew that it was illegal to do so because he was informed when he failed to renew his previous registration with Gas Safe.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) began investigating Mr Buck last year and found that, on November 27 2013, he had carried out work on a boiler at a property in Inkersall, Derbyshire, but did not complete the required safety checks.

    This meant he failed to notice that some of the pipework had not been sealed properly, making the device unsafe and turning it into a potential carbon monoxide risk for the residents of the house.

    Buck ‘put people at risk’

    HSE inspector Edward Walker said Mr Buck committed a deliberate breach by carrying out the work, as he knew that he had to be registered with Gas Safe.

    He also failed to take “due diligence” with regards to the safety checks that he was meant to carry out when he serviced the boiler, putting people in the house at risk, Mr Walker added.

    Gas Safe Register chief executive Russell Krämer said all engineers carrying out gas work were legally required to be registered.

    He urged people to “avoid the risks of dangerous and illegal gas work” by only ever using a Gas Safe registered engineer.

    Source: HSE

    Share On

       

    Date Published: November 29, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.