Snorkelling is a popular leisure activity that lets you take a glimpse into the wonderful underwater world normally reserved for qualified scuba divers. Though snorkelling carries less risk than diving, accidents still happen. Staying safe whilst snorkelling is not difficult and can be achieved with sufficient knowledge and some caution.
Guidelines for staying safe whilst snorkelling
The first and most important thing to remember when snorkelling, is to respect the ocean. This means completing a proper environmental assessment before entering the water. What are the weather and sea conditions like? Is it too risky to go into the water?
Once you have established that it is safe to snorkel, there are a few basic guidelines that will help you stay safe whilst snorkelling:
- Always snorkel with a buddy – swim close together and look out for each other. This can mean the difference between life and death in a snorkelling accident.
- Use the proper equipment – your equipment should be in good condition and should fit you well.
- Look after yourself – basic things such as staying hydrated and using sunblock.
- Stay within your skill level – do not push yourself or your buddy beyond your comfort and skill levels.
- Be aware of the ocean – as above, it is important to understand the strength of the ocean. Take note of things such as the size of swells and the strength of currents. Pay particular attention if any of these should change.
- Be aware of boats – boats can pose a serious danger to snorkellers. Pay attention to boat traffic in the area that you are snorkelling in.
- Do not touch any marine life – aside from the damage that you can cause to the marine life, there are many dangerous species of sea creature that can be harmful to your health.
What if I am injured in a snorkelling accident?
If you have been injured in a snorkelling accident and it was not your fault, you may be entitled to make a compensation claim. Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 180 4123 to speak to one of our friendly legal advisers. They will ask you a few simple questions about your snorkelling accident before giving you an honest assessment of whether your claim will be successful. They will also be able to answer any questions you may have about how the claims process will work.
If our adviser believes you have a strong case they will pass it on to one of our specialist lawyers, who will then begin gathering evidence in order to take your claim forward. If you are worried about the cost, all of our solicitors work on a 100% no win, no fee* basis.
You can also try our quick test at the top of the page if you are interested in finding out what your snorkelling accident claim might be worth. It will only take you 30 seconds to complete.
Call Accident Advice Helpline now to start your snorkelling accident claim. You have nothing to lose.