If you work in an office, or own your own office, you’ll be aware of the many hazards that can be found in the environment. From loose cables posing a tripping risk to faulty electrical equipment and even injuries caused by poor workstation setup, there are plenty of things that could go wrong during the average working day. Luckily, there are a number of steps you can take both as an employer or an employee to ensure that you don’t have an accident in the office.
Common office accidents and injuries
Some of the more common accidents and injuries to occur in the average office include:
- Slips, trips and falls – for example, tripping over a file drawer, electrical cords or loose carpet or slipping on a wet floor.
- Lifting injuries – lifting boxes of files, stacks of computer paper or a heavy monitor could all cause injury.
- Workstation injuries – an unsupportive chair or screen positioned at the wrong height could lead to neck, shoulder and back pain, eyestrain etc.
It’s important that employers take steps to protect their staff, and this includes ensuring staff have ergonomically correct workstations, and making the proper provisions for employees to take regular breaks from their desks.
Staying safe at work
The following tips will help you to stay safe at work, no matter what type of office you’re employed in:
- Ensure that your chair and desk are adjusted to the correct height. Your feet should rest comfortably on the floor, whilst your wrists should be straight and elbows at a 90 degree angle.
- Close drawers and filing cabinets immediately and don’t leave boxes or papers strewn on the floor – always look to make sure walkways are clear when moving around in the office.
- Report untidy wiring or electrical cables and loose carpet to management, to ensure they are fixed and don’t cause an accident.
How we can help
If you’ve been injured in an accident at work, you may be eligible to claim for compensation. Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we’re proud to have Esther Rantzen, TV personality and UK consumer champion, as our sponsor, and we’re accredited by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers. Give us a ring today on our freephone helpline on 0800 689 0500 (we’re open 24/7) and we can normally tell you within 30 seconds whether your claim is viable, and because we offer a no win, no fee service, you’ll keep more of your money if your claim is successful. There’s no need to worry about going to court either, as most personal injury claims for compensation can be processed over the phone. Our friendly team are waiting to offer you confidential advice, with no obligation to proceed, so give us a call today.