Watching your team play is any fan’s dream, but unfortunately, accidents do happen at football matches, particularly they are taking place at a large stadium or other venue. Staying safe at a football match involves using your common sense and not taking any unnecessary risks, but there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of being injured or involved in an accident.
Support your team and stay safe
It probably goes without saying, but make sure you’re seated in the right place. If you’re amongst the opposing team’s fans, it’s time to move! Here are a few more tips to help you stay safe when attending a football match:
- Don’t drink alcohol – this lowers your inhibitions and could make it more likely you will become involved in a verbal or physical fight
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Don’t become involved in a debate with the other team’s supporters
- Supervise children and keep them with you at all times
- Don’t climb on or stand on your seat
- Take care when climbing the stairs to your seat
- Make sure you organise transport to and from the event – don’t walk home alone through unlit areas
- For outdoor matches, dress for the weather. Take a hat and sunscreen if the weather is hot or ensure you wear plenty of layers, gloves and a hat if it is cold
By following the above tips, you will have a happier, safer experience at your next football match. You should also ensure you pay attention to any signs or stewards guiding you towards the correct areas of the stadium – these stewards are there to protect fans. If you have any problems or notice any safety issues, they should be your first point of contact.
Injured at a football match?
Sometimes, accidents happen which are out of your control – for example, stands can collapse at a match, injuring and even killing supporters, or fights can break out which can quickly get out of hand. If you have been injured at a football match and believe that someone else is to blame, you should call Accident Advice Helpline. We can offer advice in confidence, with no obligation to proceed. If you do decide to claim, we can help you to gather the evidence you will need to prove that your accident was caused by somebody else’s negligence and all our lawyers operate on a 100% no win, no fee** basis.
Category: Football accident claims