How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Learn more

    What are special damages in personal injury claims?

    What are special damages in personal injury claims?

    Anyone who has suffered a personal injury that was not their fault may be entitled to make a claim for compensation. While the compensation claim will be for the injuries sustained, other payments can also be claimed through special damages. Anyone wanting to push for compensation will need to know what special damages are included in personal injury claims.

    People who suffer personal injury are very likely to suffer financial losses and additional costs. These can include loss of earnings through time off work, recuperation and the cost of care, therapy, and treatment. This list is not exhaustive.

    Obviously, the person who suffered the injury will want to make up these financial losses. This is done through special damages when the personal injury claim is made.

    Seeking advice about personal damages

    Personal injury compensation claims are complicated and there can be pitfalls for the unwary.  Our specialist personal injury solicitors at Accident Advice Helpline will be able to explain the whole process to you, including the concept of special damages, as well as being able to provide representation.

    What qualifies as special damages?

    Special damages are claimed to cover the extra payments you had to make following your personal injury. The costs to you for your mishap could be substantial.

    Open Claim Calculator

    As well as the cost of medical treatments, which are not covered by the NHS in the case of road traffic accidents, your home may have to be adapted if you are left disabled. Even if you are able to continue getting extra work, you will sustain extra transport costs, such as car hire, trains or buses, while your car is off the road. And if you are off work because of your injuries for any length of time, not only will you lose income, but also pension contributions. You can ensure all these are recouped as special damages included in your personal injury claim.

    Our personal injury experts will ensure you are informed of your entitlement to claim special damages.

    What does not qualify as special damages?

    There are certain things that do not count as special damages when making a personal injury claim. However, some qualify under personal injury general damages. Personal trauma can be as difficult to deal with as physical injury, but, any losses sustained by it cannot be claimed as special damages. The same applies if the accident affected your quality of life, such as no longer being able to enjoy activities or hobbies, you will not be recompensed under special damages.

    Providing proof for special damages

    Special damages by their very nature are quantifiable. This means that every penny spent following the accident has to be accounted for; you will need receipts or proof of expenditure for the likes of medical treatment, care, and loss of earnings.

    How much will our services cost?

    If you make the wise choice to use our services we will open your case for free. You will also be represented on a 100% ‘no win, no fee*’ basis. If it is unsuccessful you will not have to pay our fees.

    Call us now on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone to see what our friendly and professional advisers can do for you.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.