How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Son injured at skate park – can I claim

    Son injured at skate park – can I claim

    Accident Advice Helpline can not only assist with direct personal claims, but also with claims made on behalf of children such as skate park injuries. The claim depends on the circumstances of the accident, but it’s certainly possible for an adult to make a claim on behalf of an injured child. Our telephone helpline is open 24 hours a day and if you give us a call we’ll probably be able to tell you straight away whether or not your claim has potential. We can also talk you through how the claims process works in order to help you make the right decision. Whatever that decision turns out to be, we won’t charge you for the call and we won’t pressurise you. We understand that you just need a little help so that you can do the best thing for your child.

    Skate park accidents

    Any court will be aware that skating is a risky activity and you’ll be unlikely to receive compensation if your son simply fell over or had an accident doing something dangerous, especially if there were signs at the park saying that it was against the rules. If he fell because of damaged equipment or uneven ground, however, you could be able to bring a claim against the private organisation or local council that owns the skate park. This may also be possible if your solicitor thinks that the equipment provided in the park made it reasonably likely that a child who was old enough to be there without close supervision would attempt something dangerous. If your child was injured due to the actions of another child, it is sometimes possible to pursue the other child’s family for compensation. Regardless of the circumstances, you will only be able to claim if your child received medical treatment for his injuries soon after the accident occurred.

    Claiming for a child

    When an adult is injured in an accident, a compensation claim has to be made within three years of that accident, but in the case of children, such claims can be made any time before the child’s 18th birthday. If you decide not to claim and your son later comes to feel that this was the wrong decision, he will then have three years after he turns 18 in which to launch a claim of his own. Whilst he is under 18, your son has no independent legal standing, so either you, or another closely connected adult will have to bring the claim on his behalf. This is easy to arrange and, if you choose to claim compensation through us, we can help you with the paperwork.

    How compensation can help

    When your son is injured at a skate park, the first thing you’ll want to know is how you can make things better for him. Rather than providing money simply to make you feel better, compensation is there to help with the practical issues. The award you receive will be worked out to make sure that you can fund any extra support your son requires, both in the immediate term and for the rest of his life. Call Accident Advice Helpline free on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone for free, no-obligation advice about making a claim.

    Date Published: April 22, 2014

    Open Claim Calculator

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Accident in the playground

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.