Following May’s ‘algal bloom’, scallop toxin levels in the molluscs found on the Dorset coast still exceed safe levels for human consumption. Samples of the scallops were taken by Weymouth Port Health Authority (WPHA) and high levels of amnesic shellfish poisoning were discovered.
Shucked scallops, containing just the muscle and roe, had safe levels of toxins. To prevent cross-contamination from occurring, shucking of scallops must be done in specially approved processing establishments. Restaurants should not shuck scallops themselves in case food preparation areas become contaminated.
Amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP) is stored in the scallops’ digestive systems and can causes neurological symptoms, even death in very rare cases. Those gathering mussels, scallops, oysters and clams off the Dorset coast have been warned about the possible presence of toxins. But the WHPA said scallop toxin levels were of the most concern – scallops are good at picking up the toxin but struggle to excrete it from their systems.
If you are concerned about toxin levels in any scallops you have bought from the area, it is better to be safe than sorry. Food poisoning from shellfish can cause neurological symptoms such as dizziness and confusion, as well as nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Have you been struck down by amnesic shellfish poisoning?
If you have suffered from amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP) after eating shellfish at a restaurant or purchasing it from a supermarket or other store, you may need to seek medical attention. Children and the elderly are most at risk of complications when it comes to food poisoning. For the majority of other people, symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea should resolve themselves within 24-48 hours. If symptoms persist, you may need to see your GP. If you’ve been affected by ASP, you may be able to claim compensation.
Claiming compensation for food poisoning
Any business which sells or serves food must meet food hygiene standards; this includes serving food which has been properly prepared and cooked and is safe to eat. If you become ill after eating at a local restaurant or buying shellfish that is contaminated with ASP, contact Accident Advice Helpline. We’ll listen to your individual situation and offer confidential, no-obligation advice. However you have been affected, we believe you should receive compensation for your pain and suffering is someone else is to blame. Our 100% no win, no fee* service means our services are affordable for everyone. So just pick up the phone and call us today on 0800 689 0500 to see how we can help you claim compensation for food poisoning.
Source: BBC News
Date Published: August 27, 2014
Author: David Brown