A scaffolding firm’s employee fell through a roof light during work that hadn’t been planned properly and was unsafe, a court has been told.
The company, Dorset-based Weller Scaffolding Limited, was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay costs of £5,628 after admitting it breached the Work at Height Regulations.
The accident at work happened at an industrial unit in Bridport in July 2014, Weymouth Magistrates’ Court heard.
‘Worker not appropriately supervised’
The employee had been hired to put an access scaffold around the asbestos cement roof of the building.
He was on the roof when he fell through one of its roof lights.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation established that the work being carried out was unsafe.
This was because it had not been planned properly or supervised appropriately, the HSE says.
Source: Health and Safety Executive
Date Published: February 25, 2016
Author: Jonathan Brown