An outbreak of salmonella struck down 30 people at The Real China restaurant in Eastleigh. The victims included a three-year-old and a man who has spoken out about his experience. 20-year-old salmonella victim George Williams was admitted to hospital after suffering from stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting. Doctors suspected he was suffering from Crohn’s Disease, but eventually diagnosed salmonella.
The Real China restaurant has closed its doors voluntarily whilst environmental health officers from Eastleigh Borough Council investigate the outbreak, which has been traced back to 11th July. George, a telesales worker from Romney, dined at the restaurant with friends, becoming unwell 48 hours later. After being referred to Southampton General Hospital, salmonella was confirmed and he was put on a drip.
George commented, “It’s just been hell. Even though I have got an appetite I can’t eat. It’s just scary – how long am I going to feel like this for?”
The local council is appealing for anyone else who has experienced food poisoning symptoms after dining at the restaurant to come forwards.
Has food poisoning left you unwell?
The symptoms of food poisoning usually last for a few days and most people get better without medical treatment. Symptoms can include fever, stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting, and could be caused by cross-contamination of food, poor hygiene practices or improper cooking of meat and poultry. In some cases, symptoms persist and medical treatment may be needed – children and the elderly are most at risk. If your symptoms show no signs of subsiding after a few days, you should contact your GP or local hospital. Very rarely, food poisoning symptoms can recur for months and cause symptoms which are ongoing. If you have been affected by food poisoning, it is likely you will need a few days off work to recover.
Claiming compensation with Accident Advice Helpline
When it comes to finding the right personal injury lawyer for your needs, choose Accident Advice Helpline. We come highly recommended by our patron, TV personality and UK consumer champion Esther Rantzen, for our high standards of customer service. Because we only deal with personal injury compensation and no other area of the law, we’re specialists in our field, and we work on a 100% no win, no fee* basis. So whether you have suffered from food poisoning after eating at a local restaurant or have been struck down with salmonella after enjoying a takeaway, get in touch with us today on our freephone helpline – 0800 689 0500 – to find out whether you could be eligible to claim compensation.
Source: Daily Echo
Date Published: August 9, 2014
Author: David Brown