Ready mix concrete is ideal for smaller projects such as driveway repair and is also used for smaller building tasks – it’s important to note that it should be used within 2 hours of mixing; if it dries too quickly this could cause cracks later.
Tips for safe use of ready mix concrete
The following tips will help you to use ready mix concrete safely and should be followed whenever working with the product:
- Calculate the volume of ready-mix concrete you will need. Do this by multiplying the length by width by depth of the space you’ll be filling, which will give you the required volume.
- You should always ensure you wear protective gloves, long sleeves, safety boots and eye protection when working with any type of concrete
- Don’t lay concrete in rainy conditions or very cold weather. If it begins to rain before your concrete has hardened, you can build a simple frame to support a sheet to cover it
- Preparation is vital, so make sure you have prepared the forms needed to hold the concrete and that you are ready to begin before you start mixing. Make sure you have all the materials you will need – concrete mix, water, a shovel and mixing container
- Always read the mix instructions on the bag, which will tell you how much water is needed
- Empty the concrete mix into your container (a wheelbarrow is ideal) and make a small well in the middle of the dry mix. Add your water and mix thoroughly
- You should mix with a ‘paddle’ motion with the shovel – the mix is ready when it holds its form yet is not too soupy
- Once you’ve laid your concrete, ensure you barricade the area so nobody steps in it
It’s also important to remember that you may need to lift and carry bags of concrete across distances, so avoid buying bags which are too heavy and bulky to lift! By following these simple steps, you should have a safe experience working with ready mix concrete.
Accidents involving ready mix concrete
No matter how many precautions you take, accidents do happen. However, if you have been injured at work whilst using ready mix concrete and you feel someone else is to blame for your accident, you could be eligible to claim for accident compensation. Contact Accident Advice Helpline today and we can offer you confidential, no-obligation advice and a 100% no win, no fee* service.