When it comes to working with wood, radial arm saws can be an invaluable tool. The sheer range of what they can do in terms of types and style of cut marks them out as a hugely useful tool in any workshop.
However, they can also cause considerable and serious injuries at work, particularly if they are used incorrectly or if you have a faulty radial arm saw.
How can I avoid accidents at work with a radial arm saw?
The first thing to examine in order to safely use a radial arm saw is yourself. Loose fitting clothes are to be avoided at all costs as they can easily get caught up in the mechanism, causing a serious work accident.
Extra protection in terms of safety goggles and hearing protection should also be worn.
Another important step to help stay safe at work with a radial arm saw is to carry out a number of safety checks before using the tool. This includes:
– Checking the saw blade to ensure it has been installed properly and that it is clean and sharp.
– Checking the blade guards are in position securely and working effectively.
– Removing any potential obstructions and obstacles, such as sawdust, from the working area.
During the operation itself, you can stay safe by:
– Waiting for the saw to reach maximum speed before beginning the cut
– Switching the saw off immediately after the cut has been completed and wait until the blade has come to a complete stop.
– Keeping whatever you are working on firmly on the table. You should never cut free-hand as this increases the chances of an accident with a radial arm saw occurring.
– When cross-cutting, pull at a slow and even pace, making sure the saw does not ‘grab’ the wood and travel through it too quickly.
– Keeping your hands and face well clear of the blade. Should you experience any problems, turn the saw off and make sure the blade has come to a complete stop before taking a closer look.
Whatever the cause of your accident at work, whether it’s falling objects, faulty machinery, or a slip or fall, Accident Advice Helpline are there for you.
A law firm with over 13 years’ experience in injury claims, they can help you back on your feet with the work accident compensation you deserve following injuries at work.
To discuss your claim with a member of their expert team dial 0800 689 0500 now.