How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Children’s accidents – what are the rules?

    Regardless of whether your child has been involved in an accident as a passenger, pedestrian or cyclist, you may be entitled to claim compensation on his or her behalf. At Accident Advice Helpline, our experienced solicitors can answer the question: “what are the rules for children’s accidents?” and help you obtain compensation if your child has been injured due to clinical negligence.

    If your child has been injured or if you have suffered the tragedy of losing a child as a result of an accident or medical negligence, you can rest assured that we will do our best to ensure you will not face unnecessary distress whilst claiming compensation from the organisation or person responsible for your and your child’s suffering.

    Understanding the rules for getting children’s compensation

    So, what are the rules for children’s accidents? At Accident Advice Helpline, our friendly and professional solicitors are ready to help secure compensation for you and your child. We prefer to have children’s injury compensation claims settled via court, even when liability is admitted by the defendant, to ensure that the child receives the compensation he or she deserves. The court must approve the arrangement proposed by the child’s parents or guardians and the defendant for the agreement to be binding. This is important, especially when the child is partly to blame for the accident and the parties intend to split liability between them.

    Once the court has approved the agreement, the full amount of compensation is transferred into a special investment account that the child can access after he or she turns 18. The court may also decide to release some funds before legal proceedings end in order to help the parents or guardians cover the costs of medical treatment and special education, if applicable.

    If your child has been injured and he or she is under the age of 18 we suggest that you contact us right away for advice. Submitting a compensation claim as soon as possible is very important, because special rules apply to children’s personal injury claims. One of these is the three-year time limit, which applies to all compensation cases involving children. This means that proceedings must be commenced within three years of the date of the accident. If the parent or guardian does not start legal proceedings within this time frame the child has another opportunity to claim compensation once he or she turns 18.

    Open Claim Calculator

    How much compensation will your child receive?

    As with any other injury case, the amount of compensation you child can expect to receive is based on specific criteria, such as the severity of the injury; loss of amenity, which is defined by the things that he or she can no longer do due to the injury; current and future financial losses, such as expenses for medication, treatment, travel costs to and from the hospital and for the care that your child has had or will require in the future. To help you get rightful compensation for your child’s suffering, we will require expert witnesses to calculate financial losses based on a comprehensive medical examination and on evidence proving the guilt of the defendant.

    To find out more about your child’s legal rights, we suggest you contact one of our specialists in child injury compensation claims.

    Date Published: October 16, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Personal injury claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.