The lives of two workers were put at risk from a fall from height by a roofing contractor, Manchester City Magistrates heard.
MW Roofing (NW) Ltd has now been fined after it was judged to have inadequate safety measures for two employees working at height without protection against falls.
Repairing a chimney
The employees were working to remove a chimney on a two storey house in Rochdale.
They were spotted accessing the roof with a cat ladder. The men were also carrying waste material in buckets down the ladder.
There were no safety measures in place that would of prevented the men from falling off the roof.
The contractor had previously been warned by the Health and Safety Executive about such unsafe working at height practices. But despite this, MW Roofing failed to update its safety measures.
MW Roofing (NW) Ltd pleaded guilty to two breaches, Regulation 4(1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay costs of £2,440.60.
HSE Inspector David Argument said: “You cannot ignore the dangers of working at height, it remains the main cause of death and serious injury in the workplace, particularly in the construction industry.
“Simple measures, such as providing guard rails can prevent death and serious injury.”
Source: Health and Safety Executive
Date Published: January 31, 2017
Author: Jonathan Brown