How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Road traffic accident compensation claims

    If you have sustained an injury as the result of a road traffic accident that was not your fault, you are likely to be entitled to at least some level of compensation. Victims of road traffic accidents can often sustain injuries that carry longer-term implications. Therefore, it is always advisable to go through the process of making a road traffic accident compensation claim to cover yourself against future expenses and possible loss of income resulting from the injury.

    Types of road traffic accidents

    The term ‘road traffic accidents’ covers many situations including the following:

    • Car crash claims
    • Motor accident claims
    • Driver injury claims
    • Passenger injury compensation
    • Uninsured drivers compensation
    • Untraced drivers compensation
    • Motorbike accident claims
    • Bicycle injury compensation

    Entitlement to claim

    It is very common for victims not to follow up on road traffic accident compensation claims, either because they are not aware they could claim or the third party is unknown or uninsured. However, no matter what the situation, it is almost always possible to make a compensation claim and the best way to increase the chances of success is to involve the police as early as possible. If you have been or become the victim of a road traffic accident, a full police incident report, stating who was at fault, will help prove your case for making a claim. What’s more, the Motor Insurers Bureau will actually award compensation to victims in incidents involving untraceable or uninsured third parties.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Best way to claim

    Firstly, at the time of the incident, gather as much detail and information as possible on the injuries sustained, damage to vehicle and names and addresses of any witnesses. Photographs can go a long way to building a clear picture of what happened. A police report is also good source of evidence. Whatever the injury, ensure you get it checked out by a doctor or medical professional so that you can be sure that any longer term implications, if there are any, are properly documented. A medical report will help substantiate any claim for injury.

    You are advised to contact one of our expert solicitors. At Accident Advice Helpline, we employ professionals who will provide you with advice on how best to proceed; on a no win, no fee** basis. Discuss with your solicitor the costs and expenses incurred as a result of the accident and ensure that you account for all expenses relating to any assistance required whilst injured, travel to medical appointments and loss of earnings. From this, a total settlement amount will be agreed and your solicitor will advise you on the best course of action. You should be aware that it might be advantageous to agree a lower immediate settlement rather than going down the route of a long-winded arbitration and court process, which is likely if the third party contests the amount of compensation claimed.

    Compensation for a vehicle

    Claiming personal injury compensation is separate from any claim for damage to your vehicle. However, the same advice remains; it is important to detail supporting evidence that outlines the damage caused to the vehicle. The main difference is that this information is presented to your car insurance company as opposed to a solicitor.

    Date Published: September 26, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Road Traffic Accident Claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.