All employers have a duty to protect not only their employees but contractors or visitors on site too. Whether you are directly employed on a building site or working as a contractor, it’s your employer’s duty to make sure they carry out the following:
- Check hoists and scaffolding are secure and properly set up; they must also be well maintained
- Carry out risk assessments which must be updated regularly – safe working procedures should be developed and communicated to all staff
- Workplace should be kept tidy and safe
- Machinery and tools should be provided to enable employees and contractors to carry out their duties and these must be well maintained and in good working order
- Manual handling training must be provided to any staff or contractors taking part in heavy lifting
- Safety wear or PPE such as safety boots, hard hats and high-visibility vests should be provided to all staff on site
If your employer or site manager fails to carry out any of the above steps and you are injured as a result of their negligence, you could be eligible to make a building site or construction site accident compensation claim. If the accident has been caused by another staff member, you could claim for personal injury compensation.
Claiming for accident compensation
If you’ve been injured in an accident on a building site or construction site, such as falling from a poorly set up or improperly maintained ladder or crane, then you could claim for site accident compensation. This is where you need the services of a specialist personal injury compensation lawyer – they’ll work on your behalf to get you the compensation you deserve, taking into account your injuries and any loss of earnings plus how your quality of life has been impacted.
How we can help
Accident Advice Helpline should be your first port of call if you’ve been injured on a construction or building site. We have many years of experience with these types of claims and our friendly, professional team of personal injury compensation specialists will work hard to get you the compensation you rightfully deserve. You won’t pay a penny upfront as our 100% no win, no fee* service is offered to all our clients, and you don’t even have to make a decision about claiming right away. Whilst we recommend you claim as soon as possible after your accident, you can give us a ring 24/7 on our freephone hotline to ask any questions you may have or receive advice on your situation, with no obligation to proceed. Give us a call today and see how we can help you.
Date Published: February 23, 2014
Author: David Brown