How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    RIDDOR – Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995

    By David Brown on January 5, 2014

    RIDDOR – Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995

    The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995, or RIDDOR for short, puts duties on employers, the self-employed and persons in control of workplace premises (the responsible person) to report any instances of serious accidents at work. These can also include occupational diseases and specified danger occurrences commonly known as “near-misses.” The regulations were implemented in order to prevent the occurrence of work-related accidents. Here is Accident Advice Helpline’s guide to the RIDDOR.

    Who has a duty to report under the legislation?

    As stated, any employers, persons in charge of workplace premises or the self-employed are obligated to report under the regulations. The regulations also extend to members of the public and in particular gas fitters or engineers are compelled to report faulty gas installations.

    What must be reported?

    Under the regulations, the following must be reported:

    • Death and injuries caused by workplace accidents
    • Occupational diseases
    • Carcinogens, mutagens and biological agents
    • Specified injuries to workers
    • Dangerous occurrences (near misses)
    • Gas incidents

    Companies with more than 10 employees and owners and occupiers of factories, mines or quarries are required by law to have an accident book for logging information.

    What information should I record?

    When filing a RIDDOR report, it is important to note the following:

    • The date and the method used for reporting
    • The date, time and location of the incident
    • Personal details of those involved in the incident
    • Brief description of the nature of the incident or disease

    How do I file a report?

    Until September 2012, it was possible to make a RIDDOR report via telephone, however the system has now changed and must be completed online through the HSE website. A telephone service still exists for reporting fatalities and serious injuries in order to provide help for those in traumatic conditions.

    How can I find out further information on RIDDOR?

    RIDDOR and Accident Report Training are covered on the first days of most First-Aid courses.

    As an employer, will my insurance provider be informed in the event of an incident?

    Information which has been supplied as part of a RIDDOR report will generally not be passed on to any insurance providers. If you feel it is necessary to contact your insurer under your current policy obligations then you must do this separately.

    Source: HSE

    Share On


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.