You might not think that working in a restaurant poses many dangers, but you would be wrong. There are as many hazards to be found in restaurants as there are in other workplaces, although these may not be as initially obvious as hazards in a factory or warehouse environment. Whether you’re working in the kitchen or front of house, here are some of the main hazards you could face:
- Sharp tools/knives
- Hot food and drink
- Heat stress
- Faulty electrical equipment or machinery
- Heavy lifting
- Slip, trip or fall hazards
- Assault/personal security
Luckily, there are a number of steps both you and your employer can take to protect yourself when working in a restaurant environment, to prevent the risk of accident.
Staying safe when working in a restaurant
Here are a few tips to help you stay safe when working in a restaurant:
- Ensure you have been properly trained in using kitchen equipment including knives and other sharp tools – ensure those around you have also been trained.
- Don’t rush when serving food to customers as you could slip or trip.
- Clear up breakages and spillages immediately and make sure your colleagues are aware of the hazard.
- Use proper procedure for manual handling and request assistance with lifting heavy loads.
- Be aware of your personal security at all times when working front of house, particularly if you’re working unsociable hours.
- Ensure you are trained properly in procedures for carrying hot food and beverages.
- Familiarise yourself with the location and contents of the first aid kit and accident book.
Accidents at work
Of course, accidents at work can and do happen, no matter how careful you are, but it’s important that your employer has taken steps to protect you. If they have been negligent of your personal safety at work and you have been injured as a result – for example, if you reported faulty equipment and it has not been repaired – you may be able to claim for personal injury compensation
How we can help you
Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we know that workplace accidents happen frequently, and we’ll help you to establish who was to blame for your accident; we can normally tell you within 30 seconds whether you have a viable claim for compensation. We’re recommended by our patron, UK consumer champion and TV personality Esther Rantzen, so you know we’ll provide you with a professional service. If you’ve been forced to take time off work due to an injury, you may have suffered loss of earnings and be worried how you will pay lawyer’s fees – we don’t charge a penny upfront and our 100% no win, no fee* service is a weight off your shoulders.Open Claim Calculator
Call our freephone advice line today on 0800 689 0500 and get the ball rolling on your personal injury claim.