How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Reporting accidents at work

    Here at Accident Advice Helpline, we are often contacted by people who have been injured in the workplace and who wish to know the procedure for reporting accidents at work. As one of the premier personal injury law firms in the UK, we have successfully handled numerous work injury compensation claims. We have helped many people to receive the maximum payout possible for their individual cases.

    Employers are required by law to provide a safe and healthy environment for their employees. This includes providing adequate training and safety equipment. When these duties are neglected, accidents are likely to occur. We have endeavoured to answer the most common questions regarding reporting accidents at work below.

    Is my employer responsible for reporting a workplace accident?

    According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), workplace accidents should only be reported by the responsible persons. This includes employers, the self-employed and those who are in control of premises, such as premises owners.

    These people are held responsible for ensuring that their premises or workplaces are safe, both for their employees and for members of the public. We advise all employees to report accidents to their employers as soon as they occur. Employers are then required to record these incidents in an accident book and to report them to the HSE or relevant local authority.

    Why should accidents be reported?

    Employers should report workplace accidents to enable the enforcing authorities to identify the common areas where risks arise and to help them determine whether further investigation is required.

    On the other hand, as an employee, it is important to report such accidents in order to improve the safety conditions in the workplace. Informing an employer about the incident gives them the opportunity to make the relevant adjustments to ensure that your workmates remain safe.

    What types of accidents should be reported?

    The common types of reportable workplace accidents include:

    • Injuries sustained at work.
    • Deaths.
    • Occupational diseases.
    • Gas incidents.
    • Other dangerous occurrences or near misses.

    When should my employer report these accidents?

    An employer should report workplace deaths and injuries as soon as they occur. Injuries that cause an employee to miss work for more than seven days should be reported within 15 days of their occurrence, while three-day injuries are usually only recorded in the accident book. Occupational diseases ought to be reported as soon as a doctor notifies an employer that one of his workers suffers from a work-related disease.

    What should I do if my employer fails to report an accident in the workplace?

    We advise employees to take their cases to the next level if their employers have failed to report accidents that have occurred at work. In most instances, this means bringing the matter to the attention of the HSE or the concerned local authority for further investigation.

    Contact us for more information

    If you would like to know whether you can claim work injury compensation from your employer then do not hesitate to contact us. Call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 to talk to one of our friendly advisers and to receive further information on claiming compensation.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.