Recover financial expenses – making a claim

Anyone suffering personal injury in an accident he or she was not responsible for causing has a right to claim compensation against the person or body responsible. Any monies awarded will be for the pain and suffering caused as well as the loss of amenity. However, very often the victim does not just suffer only physical and psychological hurt. The injury can see them racking up expenses and losses, so he or she needs to be able to recover financial expenses when making a claim.

Special damages

Any expenses and losses recovered when making a claim are known as special damages. The compensation awarded for the injuries are known as general damages. While the courts will base general damages on such things as the extent of the injury, special damages by their very nature are quantifiable. This means every penny awarded will have to be accounted for. The person making the claim should keep receipts and documentary evidence of all the additional expense and added costs resulting from their injury.

Our specialist personal injury and accident solicitors at the Accident Advice Helpline have the experience to ensure you will be able to recover all the financial expenses permitted when you make your compensation claim. A good example of how we can help maximise your claim is if you are offered a compensation payment by a negligent person or body who was responsible for the accident. The special damages part of the payment may not take into account all your expenses, including loss of earnings and the ability to support family and loved ones while your absence from work continues. By using our services we will be able to protect you from being under-compensated.

What can I claim for under special damages?

Under special damages the most obvious claim is loss of earnings, not only up to the time of the claim, but in the future as well if you are unable to return to work for any length of time. Loss of earnings from overtime should be taken into account as well. You can also claim for loss of pension contributions. If the injuries were very serious you can also claim the cost of care, even if it is provided by your own family, and any necessary adaptations to your home.

Road traffic accident payments are not actually met by the NHS; these are claimed from the insurance companies. You can also recover the financial expense of treatment, including private treatment, under special damages when making your claim for compensation.

Not all expenses have to be related to your injuries. You will suffer financially if your car is damaged in a road traffic accident. Provided you are not liable, you can recover the financial losses sustained by having to use alternative transport to travel and from work.

No win no fee*

Many people miss out on the compensation they are entitled to because they choose not to use legal expertise to handle their claim. This is often because they fear the service will be too costly. That is not the case with us. We will open your case at no cost you.  We also work on a 100% no win no fee* basis.

If you want to discuss your accident in more detail just give our advisers a call on 0800 689 0500.

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )