How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Public accidents injury advice

    Public accidents can occur in locations such as playgrounds, shops, amusement parks, restaurants, streets, schools and public swimming pools among others. Examples of accidents that often occur in public areas include slips, trips or falls, industrial accidents or traffic accidents. Those involved in these accidents might sustain a variety of injuries from food poisoning, fractures and back injuries to head and brain injuries.

    If you have ever been unfortunate enough to sustain injuries as a result of a public accident then you know the trauma and suffering involved. However, if the accident was not your fault then you may be entitled to claim compensation from the people responsible.

    Compensation will help you to cover the financial, physical and emotional costs of your injury. Additionally, it may also result in preventative measures being put in place to stop others from sharing your fate.

    Which compensation claims are you entitled to make?

    If you incurred injuries due to an accident that occurred on property open to the public, you may make a public liability claim or opt to make a personal injury claim. These claims may be filed against those you hold responsible for the accident. In most instances, the defendants in these claims include business owners or the local council. It will be necessary to prove that the person you are making a claim against was responsible for your health and safety and that the accident occurred as a direct result of their negligence.

    Open Claim Calculator

    You are eligible to make a claim for compensation if the following criteria apply to you:

    • The accident was not your fault.
    • The accident occurred within the last three years.
    • You sustained injuries (minor or severe) because of the accident.
    • You received medical treatment for the injuries.

    Steps to take in the event of a public accident injury

    When you set out to seek compensation for a public accident injury, it is important to remember that as the claimant, you bear the burden of proof. There are a few steps to follow to enhance your chances of making a successful compensation claim.

    1. Gather evidence. This involves collecting all information that you can about the accident. Details of witnesses and photographs of the accident scene usually prove useful in these cases. In addition, you should strive to keep all documentation relating to the accident. This includes a medical report detailing the injuries sustained, the prognosis given, treatment received and the medicine prescribed. You should also keep a diary of the whole incident detailing important events and new symptoms where possible.
    2. Organise the evidence. Keep all the evidence and documents you collect in one file or folder. This makes it easy to retrieve them whenever they are needed.
    3. Get expert advice. Here at Accident Advice Helpline, you can discuss the details of your case with one of our friendly advisors. They will also introduce you to one of our reputable and experienced solicitors who will help you with your claim to ensure you receive full compensation.

    Date Published: September 24, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.