Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Pub/bar accidents: Wet floor slips

Wet floor slips are amongst the most common accidents to occur in pubs and bars across the UK. Think about how many times you, your friends or co-workers have spilled drinks when you’ve been on a night out or popped for an after-work beer. It’s up to pub and bar managers to ensure that spillages are cleaned up quickly, as if this doesn’t happen then an accident could easily occur, and this could lead to serious injuries. If you’ve been injured as a result of somebody else’s negligence then you could find yourself eligible to make a claim for personal injury compensation within three years of your accident happening.

What causes wet floor slips in pubs and bars?

It might sound obvious, but the main cause of wet floor slips is drinks being spilled. Wet floor slips are the most common type of slip and trip accident to happen in bars and pubs, and depending on how your accident happens, you could sustain some pretty nasty injuries. A wet or sticky floor (either from spilt drinks or after being cleaned) is often hard to spot, and if warning signs are not displayed then you could find yourself the victim of an accident. Not only is there the risk of falling and sustaining injuries such as bruises, a sprained ankle or even a back injury, there is also the risk of lacerations from broken glass, if people have dropped their drinks and this has not been cleaned up promptly.

What else can cause slips and trips in pubs?

Wet floors are not the only culprits when it comes to accidents in pubs – in fact in any pub or bar there are a number of hazards which could easily lead to slips, trips and falls. It’s not just those visiting a pub who are at risk either – did you know that an HSE study carried out in 2015 revealed that over half of the reported workplace injuries are caused by slips, trips and falls at work? Other risks include:

  • Falling downstairs – for example if stairs are damaged or a handrail is broken
  • Tripping on badly maintained carpets or uneven/damaged flooring
  • Tripping over obstructions or hazards left lying around
  • Tripping on a small step

If you have slipped and fallen whilst working in a pub or bar, or you’ve been injured on a night out, you should always ensure you report your accident to the management team, as it is their responsibility to record it in their accident book.

Who’s responsible for your accident?

Bar and pub managers are ultimately responsible for wet floor slips or any other kind of slip, trip or fall accident taking place on their premises. There are a number of different health and safety regulations that managers need to comply with, including The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. It’s vital that managers have a plan of action in place to follow whenever there is a spillage – spilt drinks should be wiped up quickly and floors cleaned using appropriate cleaning methods. It’s also important that they ensure that floor detergents are mixed at the correct concentration, to avoid making floors slippery, and that wet floor warning signs are displayed to prevent accidents from happening.

What injuries can be caused by slips in a pub?

Wet floor slips can lead to some pretty nasty injuries. You may be lucky enough to escape with some bumps and bruises, but did you know that around 90% of slip and trip injuries involve broken bones? Here are a few examples of the types of injuries which you could suffer – and remember that if you have sought medical attention, you could be eligible to make a claim for personal injury compensation after your accident:

  • Strains and sprains, for example a sprained ankle
  • Dislocated shoulder, from falling onto outstretched arms
  • Back injuries
  • Head injuries such as concussion
  • Facial injuries
  • Knocking your teeth out
  • Eye injuries
  • Cuts and lacerations
  • Bruises
  • Broken bones

The most common injuries suffered after wet floor slips are musculoskeletal injuries, bruises, cuts, dislocations and fractures – but depending on where you fall, you could suffer more serious injuries (for example, if you hit your head).

Should you make a claim after your accident?

Being injured after slipping on a wet floor is the last thing on your mind if you’re enjoying a few drinks with friends or work colleagues. Likewise, you’re probably not thinking about being injured as you go to work in a bar or pub on a regular basis. But if the bar or pub management has been negligent and this has led to you suffering injuries, then you could consider making a personal injury claim. Wet floor slips are surprisingly common, and more could be done to prevent them from happening, including things like carrying out regular risk assessments and ensuring that staff are always available for ‘clean-up duty’ when spillages occur. Accident Advice Helpline believes everybody who has been injured as a result of somebody else’s negligence should be entitled to make a claim for compensation, which is why we offer a no win no fee service.

How much compensation could you receive?

Because Accident Advice Helpline processes all claims on an individual basis, we take a number of different factors into account when working out how much compensation you could be entitled to for your injuries. You can take the 30-second test™ on our website today for an idea of what you could claim, and then get in touch with us within three years of your accident, to find out if you are eligible to make a personal injury claim. We have handled hundreds of claims for slips and trips in bars and pubs, and our professional personal injury lawyers have over 17 years’ experience. To find out more, get in touch with us today by calling our freephone helpline on 0800 689 5659 to get confidential, no-obligation advice.