How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Pub worker installed illegal gas pipe

    By Jonathan Brown on May 5, 2016

    Pub worker installed illegal gas pipe

    A pub worker has been fined after illegally installing a new gas line in a flat.

    Geoffrey Voss, 59, from Torquay, installed gas pipework and a gas boiler at a flat despite having no competencies in gas work and despite him having never been registered with the Gas Safe Register for any gas work.

    He was prosecuted after his illegal activities were investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

    No documentation

    Mr Voss’s illegal work came to light when the homeowner repeatedly asked him for the commissioning documentation for the new gas boiler that he had installed, Newton Abbot Magistrates’ Court heard.

    He never produced the document, leading the homeowner to raise concerns with the Gas Safe Register.

    Mr Voss admitted he had not commissioned the gas boiler after he had installed it. Such commissioning should have included tests to ensure the boiler he installed wasn’t producing high levels of carbon monoxide, but he left the boiler working without the tests being undertaken, putting the homeowner at risk from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Geoffrey Voss pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(3) and 33(1)(c) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use)Regulations and was sentenced to 36 weeks imprisonment suspended for 2 years and ordered to pay £757 in costs.

    Lucky no one was hurt

    HSE Inspector Simon Jones said only engineers with the correct competencies and who are registered with Gas Safe can legally carry out gas work. It’s fortunate that no-one was harmed as a result of Mr Voss’s illegal work, he added.

    Once a gas boiler has been installed it should always be properly commissioned to ensure that it is operating safely.

    In this case Mr Voss did no such safety checks after his illegal work, leaving it to chance that there would not be a risk of fire, explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On


    Date Published: May 5, 2016

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.