How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Property firm left lives at risk over boilers

    By David Brown on December 13, 2014

    A property firm that put tenants’ lives at risk by not making sure gas boilers were safe has been taken to court and fined.

    Barclay Ltd, of Richmond in South West London, has been fined £6,500 and told to pay costs of £1,822 after a hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) got involved after a gas worker found a boiler at a property in Hampstead hadn’t been looked after properly.

    The registered engineer complained and the HSE found that between 2004 and last year Barclay had not performed proper safety checks on the boiler. It’s a legal requirement that they are done annually.

    During the probe, HSE discovered another property rented by the firm in the area where the boiler checks had not been done within a year.

    Safety body takes action

    The HSE served Barclay with an improvement notice saying it must do the required checks – but, the court was told, two weeks later the work had still not been done.

    Company boss, Jonathan Silver, went to the hearing to admit his firm had broken gas safety regulations and failed to follow the notice it was given by the HSE to improve.

    Anne Gloor, a HSE inspector, said after the hearing that there were over 10 buildings across Willesden, Richmond and Hampstead run by Barclay – meaning they had about 50 tenants.

    She said the firm, of Kings Road, near Richmond Park, put their lives at risk along with those of anyone living beside them.

    Carbon monoxide risk

    Landlords who don’t maintain gas appliances properly leave tenants at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal, and may be open to compensation claims.

    Ms Gloor said Barclay “chose to ignore” the warnings the HSE gave it and the later action it took to make the company check its gas appliances.

    She said the reason there is a legal duty on landlords to check them is to make sure they’re still safe for tenants to use. People renting homes should be given a copy of the records so they know the checks are being carried out, she added.

    Accident Advice Helpline ensures injury victims have access to a simple and accountable compensation claims process. Call us on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 for advice on making a claim.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive 

    Share On

       

    Date Published: December 13, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.