How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Pregnant woman exposed to carbon monoxide

    By Jonathan Brown on March 3, 2015

    Pregnant woman exposed to carbon monoxide

    A heavily pregnant woman showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning after a the flue of a gas fire was left blocked by rubble during loft conversion work at a neighbouring property, a court has heard.

    Liverpool Magistrates’ Court heard that although the work at a semi-detached house in Kirkby, Merseyside, was carried out by Topflite (North West) Ltd over the summer, the gas fire in the lounge next door had not been used until October 31 2013.

    Magistrates heard that after spending much of the afternoon and evening in the lounge the woman, who does not want to be named, suffered flu-like symptoms and began vomiting.

    The woman, who was eight-and-a-half months pregnant, had to spend the next day in bed and her also husband felt sick, the court was told.

    Suspecting they may have experienced carbon monoxide poisoning the couple called in a Gas Safe-registered firm which found that the fire’s flue, situated in the cavity wall between the two properties, was blocked by rubble, preventing fumes from properly escaping through a roof vent.

    ‘Work not planned properly’

    The firm issued a warning notice to prevent the firm being used and the couple contacted the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), magistrates heard. An HSE inspector then visited the neighbouring property on Lauder Close and found that a steel beam installed in the loft had broken through and caused the flue blockage.

    Chorley-based Topflite (North West) Ltd, which trades as Topflite Loft, admitted breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act. It was fined £4,000 and ordered to cost of £1,276.

    Following the court case HSE inspector Jacqueline Western said it was crucial that building firms carefully considered the risks posed to attached properties when work was being carried out.

    She said the job should have been planned properly to ensure that the steel beam was installed without affecting the gas fire’s flue.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On


    Date Published: March 3, 2015

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.