A worker at a power station suffered serious burn injuries when he was engulfed by steam after opening a faulty valve, a court has been told.
The plant controller’s employer, ScottishPower Regeneration Limited, has been fined £1.75 million after admitting it breached the Health and Safety at Work Act.
Dunfermline Sheriff Court was told that the accident at work happened at the coal-fired Longannet Power Station in Alloa in October 2013.
The employee was seriously scalded on his chest and legs after being hit by the high pressure steam that had been emitted from the faulty valve.
The incident, which happened in October 2013, was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
‘Life changing injuries’
The HSE investigation established that while Glasgow-based ScottishPower knew about the defective valve, it had not made sure that appropriate steps were taken to remove or repair it.
HSE principal inspector Fiona MacNeill said the employee had sustained “life changing injuries”.
The accident showed, she added, how important it is for employers to make sure they have systems in place to keep equipment in a safe condition.
Source: Health and Safety Executive
Date Published: June 20, 2016
Author: Jonathan Brown