How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Poorly-maintained schools result in injury compensation

    By David Brown on May 10, 2014

    601 accidents at educational institutions were reported to the Health and Safety Executive last year– most accidents meant a trip to hospital for pupils or visitors. Schools should only report serious accidents to the HSE – this includes accidents caused by inadequate supervision, defective equipment or the condition of the building itself.

    An investigation into the HSE database showed there were 403 incidents related to education workers or teachers being injured, in addition to incidents involving children, putting the rate of injury in schools across Scotland at around 20 people a week on average.

    This information came to light just a few days after an incident at Liberton High School in Edinburgh, where a 12-year-old girl was crushed to death by a wall in the school’s PE changing rooms. The incident has led to criticism of investment in Scotland’s educational establishments – at the end of 2013, 466 were listed as in ‘bad’ condition whilst over 100,000 children are being taught in crumbling buildings barely fit for purpose. Councils in Scotland face a huge challenge to maintain and repair schools, but the safety of pupils and staff is paramount.

    Have you been injured at school?

    Whether your child has been injured at school whilst using defective equipment or you are employed by a school and have suffered an injury whilst carrying out your job, you may be wondering whether you should claim for compensation. Your employer has a duty of care to keep you safe at work (and your children safe at school) by providing premises which are fit for purpose. Crumbling buildings have the potential to cause accidents, so if you have been injured and you feel the premises you work at or your child attends school at is to blame, contact a personal injury lawyer for advice.

    Making a claim for an accident at school

    From injuries caused by walls collapsing to slips, trips and falls, if your child has been injured whilst attending school or you’ve suffered an injury at work, call Accident Advice Helpline. We have experience dealing with claims relating to injuries sustained at schools, so we know our stuff, and our expert team of personal injury lawyers will guide you through every step of the claims process. All our lawyers work on a 100% no win, no fee* basis, so whether you have suffered a minor injury or spent time in hospital for a serious injury, we can help – call us today.

    Source: HSE

    Share On


    Date Published: May 10, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.