How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Plumber’s illegal gas work endangered homeowners

    By Jonathan Brown on February 29, 2016

    Plumber’s illegal gas work endangered homeowners

    A plumber has been given a suspended prison sentence after he carried out an unsafe gas installation in a customer’s home.

    Colin Jones, 59, undertook unregistered gas work while refurbishing a property in The Mede, Exeter.

    He moved a gas meter to connect a new boiler to it, but a short time later the homeowners smelled gas and called Wales and West Utilities.

    The supplier found two gas leaks – one on the gas meter supply pipe, and another on the gas pipe from the meter to the boiler.

    The situation was deemed “immediately dangerous” because if the leaking gas had ignited there was a real risk of explosion.

    Guilty plea

    Jones was prosecuted following an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

    The plumber had connected the gas meter to a new gas boiler that had been fitted by a properly registered gas engineer, Exeter Magistrates’ Court heard.

    Jones pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(3) and 26(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

    He was given a 32-week prison sentence, suspended for two years. He was also fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £692 in costs.

    Gas installation ‘dangerous’

    HSE inspector Simon Jones said Jones put customers’ lives at risk by carrying out work on gas pipes and a gas meter that he was not legally entitled to do.

    The leaking gas caused an “incredibly dangerous situation”, and it was “only by sheer good fortune” that the escaping gas did not ignite, he added.

    The HSE reiterated that all domestic gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe
    engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On


    Date Published: February 29, 2016

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.