How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Plumber sentenced after illegal gas work

    By Jonathan Brown on October 30, 2016

    Plumber sentenced after illegal gas work

    An unregistered plumber has been prosecuted for installing a gas boiler and leaving it in a potentially dangerous state.

    Mark Evans, aged 52, an unregistered plumber, fitted the gas boiler at a property on Denys Road, Torquay, after being recommended to the homeowners by a family friend.

    Mr Evans also failed to commission the boiler – meaning he did not get it properly checked, a legal requirement.

    Lives put a risk by substandard work

    The Health and Safety Executive launched an investigation after a Gas Safe Register Inspector found the work carried out by Mr Evans was substandard and classed the installation as ‘at risk’, meaning a risk to life exists.

    The homeowner contacted Gas Safe Register after arranging for another Gas Safe Register engineer to check on the work undertaken by Mark Evans, as they had concerns over the standard of his work.

    Unbeknown to the homeowners, the engineer that they had arranged to visit turned out to be the brother of Mark Evans, who is a properly registered gas engineer. He had concerns over the boiler installation and told the homeowners to contact Gas Safe Register.

    Plumber handed suspended sentence

    Mark Evans of Sladnor Park Road, Torquay, pleaded guilty to two breaches of gas safety regulations and was sentenced to an eight month prison sentence suspended for two years, ordered to serve 100 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay £3,541.00 in costs.

    HSE Inspector Simon Jones, speaking after the hearing, said: “Mark Evans put lives at risk by undertaking gas work which he was neither qualified nor registered to undertake.”

    “He knew he should not have done the work but continued anyway blatantly disregarding the law, the law that is there to protect members of the public.”

    The inspector warns that after a gas boiler is installed, it has to be immediately commissioned to ensure that it is working safely. “Mark Evans made no such check and so left the homeowners with a potentially dangerous boiler for a considerable period of time with him knowing that the boiler had not been commissioned,” Mr Jones said.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On

       

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.