How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Who pays for my medical treatment?

    If you’ve been involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault, then the chances are you may well be entitled to claim compensation from the party responsible. Because of this, it’s wise to consult a solicitor who can help you to process the claim and can deal with the paperwork and red tape so you don’t have to. It’s natural to have some questions about this process, and one of the main ones that people want to know is who will be paying for their medical treatment following on from an accident. Naturally, you shouldn’t have to pay it yourself. Essentially, payment for your treatment will come from one of four main areas.

    Firstly, if your accident occurred at work and it resulted from employer negligence, then it is reasonable to expect that any treatment you have to undergo is funded by the employer themselves. If they weren’t following the necessary health and safety directives as specified by the Health and Safety Executive, then they will be considered responsible for the injuries. This payment can occur in one of two ways, and which one is largely down to the attitude of the employer. Being aware of their responsibility, some employers will choose to pay for the treatment on principle. Otherwise, it may be necessary to make a claim against them.

    The Department of Work and Pensions is another potential provider of money for treatment, especially if you’re able to obtain benefits as a result of your injuries. Whilst the claim should undoubtedly lead to the third party paying for your treatment, claims can take time to process, and so you should seek to obtain income from any possible source whilst waiting for the compensation to arrive. If you have certification from your doctor that you’re unable to work, then Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or other benefits could keep you ticking over whilst your claim goes through.

    Eventually, of course, it is expected that the third party responsible for the accident will pay for the treatment, either directly or through their insurance company. If they were responsible for the accident, whether it occurred on the road or simply through their negligence, then all of the compensation costs should come from them, including the costs you incurred whilst making the claim. You should prepare your evidence carefully, and where possible include the testimony of eyewitnesses, medical professionals and the police, if the accident occurred as a result of illegal actions.

    Finally, it is actually possible that if you have the right health cover, your own insurance might very well be able to pay for some of the medical costs incurred as a result of treatment following the accident. You may, of course, choose not to go down that route if you don’t have to, as the claim could affect your premium and things such as your no-claims bonus. If you don’t have savings and aren’t able to claim state benefits, however, then this is a good way in which to cover the bills until your compensation claim has finished processing.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: September 30, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.