An office may not seem like the most hazardous place to work, but there are plenty of hidden hazards which can cause accidents at work. Luckily, there are steps you can take to protect yourself and your employees at work – here are just a few office safety tips which will help to prevent accidents in the workplace.
- Keep the office tidy. This might sound obvious, but items such as files, boxes and other clutter can cause a tripping hazard, particularly if left in walkways. Even loose paper could cause someone to slip and fall if left on the floor. Tidy things away and ensure that floors are kept clear
- Avoid stretching cords across corridors or under rugs as this could cause someone to trip
- Check flooring regularly – loose tiles or carpet could cause a fall. Carpeting is often a more practical choice for offices rather than marble or tiles, which can become slippery when wet
- Ensure that your workstation is adjustable to meet your needs. You should be able to adjust your chair and desk so that you’re at the right height, preventing back and neck injury
- Ensure you have an ergonomic chair – office chairs should usually have wheels so that you can reach items easily without stretching
- Never climb on chairs (particularly those with wheels) to reach higher shelves – always use a stepladder
- Office equipment should be regularly checked to make sure it’s in working order and does not cause injury. In particular kitchen items such as kettles and toasters could cause burns or electric shock if in poor condition
It’s important to take your time when moving around the office at work as many accidents happen when people are stressed or in a hurry. Women should avoid wearing very high heels and everyone should take care when carrying hot beverages or food, to prevent scalds or burns.
Office accidents do happen
Unfortunately, no matter how careful you are, accidents in the office do happen. However, if you’ve been injured due to employer negligence, you could claim for compensation. You’ll need to appoint a specialist personal injury compensation lawyer who will be able to discuss your claim with you in full – just give Accident Advice Helpline a call. From slips, trips and falls to more serious injuries such as lacerations or burns, we’re here to offer confidential, no-obligation advice. Most claims can be processed over the phone, so it’s unlikely you’ll need to attend court.
Accident Advice Helpline
We provide a 100% ‘no win, no fee*’ service, so there are no fees to pay upfront, and because we’ve been in business more than 13 years, you know you can trust us with your claim. Call us today – we’re open 24/7 and we’d be happy to give you advice or start the ball rolling on your personal injury claim for compensation. Call free on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone for free, no-obligation advice about making a claim.