How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    OAPs put at risk from blocked chimney flue

    By David Brown on July 16, 2014

    OAPs put at risk from blocked chimney flue

    Having a leaky roof fixed led to two older people being exposed to harmful fumes when a chimney from their gas fire was blocked.

    Water had been leaking between tiles on the roof and a chimney stack at the home on Black Swan Lane in Luton when John Stanley was engaged to fix the problem.

    Safety probe

    The Health and Safety Executive had to be called in after the couple later had trouble with their gas fire and called an engineer.

    They found the gas fire fumes were being sent into the loft above their bedroom and this had been happening for more than 12 months.

    Mr Stanley, 47, of Hitchin Road in Luton, ended up at Luton Magistrates’ Court after the HSE prosecuted him and has been given a suspended jail term of four months.

    He also has to pay the couple £500.

    Flue blocked

    The court heard that to fix the leak the workman’s team took the double chimney stack apart to get to the roof felt and timbers.

    When the repairs were finished, they rebuilt a single stack for the chimney.

    The team did not make sure the gas fire flue was working, something that could have been done with a straightforward smoke test. It turned out they had blocked the flue from a working gas fire in the house’s back room instead of the one from a disused fire in the front room.

    Risk discovered

    The work was carried out in August 2011 but the dangerous blocked flue and risk to the couple was not discovered until November 2012 when they struggled to light the fire.

    Mr Stanley – who trades as King Roofing and Durable Plastics – admitted breaking health and safety law. His prison term is suspended for two years.

    Accident Advice Helpline can assist people who think they may have a case for compensation.

    Source: Gov.uk

    Share On

       

    Date Published: July 16, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.