How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Nursing home resident died following burns

    By David Brown on September 30, 2014

    A fine has been handed to a nursing home – now in liquidation – after a woman who lived there suffered 9% burns, directly contributing to her death a month later.

    Greencroft Nursing Home in Aston in Queensferry, was prosecuted after one of its residents, Beatrice ‘Betty’ Morgan, suffered the burn injury when she was lowered into a scalding hot bath.

    The 88-year-old, who was lowered into the bath tub with a hoist, was raised out again as soon as she screamed out in pain.

    But an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that staff at the care home had not checked the temperature of the water before she was lowered in.

    Medical negligence

    Miss Morgan, who could not walk, died in hospital a month later as a direct consequence of the injuries she sustained during the scalding incident.

    Accident Advice Helpline can pursue compensation under circumstances like this. The incident involving Miss Morgan would have been a case of medical negligence.

    Mold Magistrates’ Court heard that the bath had mixing valves fitted to it in order to regulate the temperature of the water but they had not been properly maintained and did not meet the standards required in nursing homes.

    Failure

    The HSE investigation found that, although employees at the care home had been told to check the temperature of the water using a thermometer before baths were given, management failed to fully assess the risks associated with using hot water and insufficient training, instruction and supervision had been offered to staff.

    A higher quality of thermostat mixing valve needs to be fixed to hot bath taps for the purposes of bathing a vulnerable resident and this needs to be maintained on a regular basis.

    The nursing home pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety regulations and was fined £5,000. The judge said the fine would have been significantly higher – £100,000 at least – if the company had not been in liquidation.

    Source: BBC 

    Share On

       

    Date Published: September 30, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.