How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Non-Gas Safe registered fitter ‘risked serious accident’

    By Jonathan Brown on April 18, 2014

    Non-Gas Safe registered fitter ‘risked serious accident’

    Householders were left in grave danger after a Staffordshire fitter who was not Gas Safe-registered installed a boiler in their home.

    Glenn Edkins, 43, trading as GPE Plumbing and Heating, carried out the illegal work at a property in Barton-under-Needwood in November 2012, potentially putting people’s lives at risk, Burton Magistrates’ Court heard.

    Gas safety law breached

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Mr Edkins this week for breaching gas safety law following an investigation into the events.

    Mr Edkins quoted a false Gas Safe registration number on the commissioning paperwork and boiler guarantee which he filled in after he had installed the boiler, the court was told.

    The householders could smell gas in the room so they called him back not long afterwards and he fixed it having identified the source of the leak.

    Gas Safe register check

    The occupants of the house at this stage decided to check Mr Edkins’ Gas Safe credentials – and they discovered that he was not on the register, despite also having done work for them in the past.

    Several serious defects in the work were subsequently identified by a genuine Gas Safe registered engineer.

    Copper pipe that was too small had been used to supply gas to the boiler, which could have caused a potentially dangerous pressure drop if the boiler, fire and cooker hob were all being used simultaneously.

    Once HSE was informed of the case, Mr Edkins was served with a Prohibition Notice preventing him from carrying out further gas work until he was registered.

    Glenn Phillip Edkins of Holly Road, Barton-under-Needwood, had previously pleaded guilty to three breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

    He was sentenced to six months in prison suspended for 12 months, ordered to pay a victim compensation order of £1,275 and costs of £1,264.

    Anyone seeking advice on serious injury claims can speak to experts at national law firm Accident Advice Helpline to discuss their options.

    Source: Health and Safety Executive

    Share On


    Date Published: April 18, 2014

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.