NHS patient sues after necrotic bed sores caused spine to rot

Hospital Ward

A woman who developed necrotic bed sores after stays in various NHS hospitals is claiming compensation worth up to £300,000 for her suffering. Christine Reaney, 66, led a full and active life before developing the sores, but is now bed bound and cannot sit upright, meaning she cannot use a wheelchair to get around. Mrs Reaney was first hospitalised due to pressure sores, but the sores were not spotted until three weeks later. Doctors at the hospital failed to treat the sores to prevent them from becoming more serious resulting in an ulcer developing at the base of Mrs Reaney’s spine. The ulcer ate into the sacroiliac joint between the pelvis and hip causing permanent damage and she also suffered deterioration of two joints in her tail bone. The patient was admitted to three different hospitals, none of which treated her for her original complaint which worsened her condition. Mrs Reaney is now seeking more than £300,000 in damages as she is no longer able to walk, suffers from hip dislocation and cannot sit upright. The case is currently ongoing and the NHS has disputed the amount of compensation the patient is claiming for.

Patient compensation for negligence

Necrotic bed sores in this case were the result of delays in diagnosis as well as delays in proper treatment to prevent the condition from worsening. Any patient who has been misdiagnosed causing injury or harm has the right to apply for compensation should there be evidence that negligence took place. This could be on the part of one medical professional or several and can include nurses, doctors or surgeons. If you have been misdiagnosed or a medical professional has failed to diagnose your illness within good time, you may be able to claim for compensation. A personal injury law firm like Accident Advice Helpline can represent you during the case.

Contacting Accident Advice Helpline

You can give us a call on our free 24-hour helpline to speak with an expert regarding your compensation claim. Where there is evidence that medical negligence took place, you may be able to win a cash payout to help you cope financially with the repercussions of your illness or injury. If you have an injury that has worsened because of a failure to diagnose or treat within good time, we can help. If a medical professional has made a mistake regarding your prescription, you may also be able to win a cash sum. Contact us today to obtain no-obligation advice from our team on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile phone.

Source: Express & Star

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No

How much you could claim?

Two QUICK ways to find:
  1. Call us at 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile OR
  2. Use our Claim Calculator

Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.
Claim Calculator
Find out in 30 seconds how much YOU could claim...
  • Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Terms and Conditions*Required

Can I Claim?

Esther says "The law states that if you’ve been injured and someone else is to blame, you are entitled to compensation." Read more >

Claim Calculator ► Accident Types ►

How Much Could I Claim?

It only takes 30 seconds to find out how much compensation you could receive. Take the 30 second test now.>

30 Second test ► Claim Form ►

Why Choose Us?

"When they say they are 100% no-win, no-fee*, they mean it. I would recommend Accident Advice Helpline to anybody." Read more >

No-Win, No-Fee*? ► Testimonials ►

Claim Now

"They were ever so professional ... they knew exactly what I was going through ... I received over £4500." Read more >

Claim Form ► Call Me Back ►
Is there anything wrong with this page? ( Help us Improve )