A 77-year-old great-great grandfather died after medics involved in his care failed to inform him he should stop taking anti-platelet medication prior to undergoing surgery for a biopsy.
The blood-thinning medication meant that he started bleeding during the operation and doctors were unable to stop it. Gordon McQueeney, the patient in question, died later on that same day.
The NHS medication error has led the NHS trust involved to offer a sum of £14,000 in compensation to Mr McQueeney’s widow. She has been highly critical of the sum, using the word ‘outrageous’ to describe the offer.
Mr McQueeney was admitted for the procedure at 8am that day and his wife received a call just three hours later where she was informed her husband was dying. He eventually passed away at 5.50pm the same day.
The NHS trust got in touch with Mrs McQueeney last week and admitted that the medication was not known about, either before or during the procedure itself. His widow said she had even checked with staff prior to the operation to ask if he had to take his medication as usual that morning. She was told he could do so.
Is this type of NHS medication error common?
Thankfully it is exceptionally rare for this type of incident to take place. However, as we have seen here, even one incident is one too many. This is a situation that could so easily have been prevented. Although liability and responsibility for the case has been admitted, it cannot bring back the patient who died.
According to reports in the news, the case has led to changes being made so nothing like this can happen again. Unfortunately it cannot make a difference to the life of Mr McQueeney.
Source: Daily Mail
Date Published: November 30, 2014
Author: David Brown