A lot of people can be hesitant to seek compensation. However it is easy to forget what the word means. It is about recovering what has been lost due to something that was not your fault. If you are not sure, it is worth knowing why you need to seek compensation and how it can make your life better.
There are numerous costs that come when people are injured in accidents such as-
- Lost wages due to not being able to work
- Medical costs
- Travel costs- For example if you cycle to work and get injured then you may be forced to use public transport or a car.
- Repair and other costs – If your vehicle is damaged you can get compensation. Other costs can also be included such as safety equipment and other personal items that may get damaged.
- Mental and emotional distress – This needs to be proven to be linked with the accident. This is often misinterpreted, but just because mental or emotional problems can’t be seen as clearly as physical injuries does not mean that they can’t be equally damaging.
Accidents at work can often be as a result of unacceptable levels of risk. Often these can be things that are easily solved. However it is also important for companies to remember that is not just the people working these environments that need protecting. For example slurry pits and other industrial environments are dangerous and need to be fenced off to prevent children and animals accidentally entering.
It is sad to say, but a lot of the time companies need reminding that conditions need to be improved. Having to pay for their mistakes is often a way of getting them to look at their standards and working environment.
Things that companies need to look at include-
- Reducing risk as much as possible
- An accident and log book and ensuring that all accidents are properly noted
- Proper training (for example how to lift heavy items safely)
- Making sure equipment is safe to use and in the best possible condition
Why you should contact Accident Advice Helpline for compensation?
For a lot of people it can be difficult to know how to make a claim and who can offer the best service. For over 13 years Accident Advice Helpline has offered people guidance when seeking compensation, allowing them to learn more about the process and giving them the best possible chance of getting compensation.
The helpline is available 24 hours a day so there is always someone available to discuss the options available to you. To find out more contact us today to see how we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Date Published: November 13, 2013
Author: David Brown