How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Millions of older people at risk from unsafe gas appliances

    By Jonathan Brown on October 9, 2016

    Millions of older people at risk from unsafe gas appliances

    As many as eight million older people are at risk from unsafe gas appliances, with more than 260 over-65s injured by gas appliances every year, according to information from the Gas Safety Register.

    It says that half of all gas fireplaces are dangerous and around one in six gas appliances are unsafe.

    The official safety body is releasing the information to encourage people to make older relatives more aware of the dangers. The drive also forms part of annual Gas Safety Week (19 – 25 September).

    Gas Safety Register research shows older people are half as likely (6%) as other age groups (15%) to have a gas installation or service carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

    Despite this, only 16% of people speak to their older relatives annually about gas safety, even though one in 10 people aged over 75 have little or no knowledge of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO).

    Furthermore, fewer than half (47%) of Britons can recognise CO poisoning symptoms.

    Protect against CO poisoning

    Only half know the signs of unsafe gas appliances. These include a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame, and soot or staining on or around the appliance. There may also be excess condensation in the room.

    CO has no smell, taste or colour, and symptoms can often be confused with other illnesses. These symptoms of poisoning include headaches; dizziness; nausea; breathlessness; collapse and loss of consciousness.

    The Gas Safe Register is prompting people to sign up for an annual gas safety check and is offering free annual safety tests at www.staygassafe.co.uk.

    Source: The Mirror

    Share On

       

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.