How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Military accidents: Defective military accommodation

    Working in the armed forces truly is a noble profession. Every day, British men and women risk their lives in order to keep their country safe. However, due sometimes in part to recent budget constraints, it can mean that members of the armed forces can receive substandard military accommodation, once they have finished their tenure in the armed forces, which can lead to slips, trips and falls.

    How can this happen in military accommodation?

    In 2012, a report published by the Commons’ Defence Select Committee highlighted that 60% of the homes provided to members of the armed forces, were found to be “crumbling.”

    About one in 30, endured living in unsatisfactory properties with problems including leaking roofs, broken boilers, faulty wiring, cracked windows, and damp.  Plans to make major improvements to military accommodation have been frozen for three years from April 2013 to save £141 million.

    The Ministry of Defence houses around 150,000 service personnel and their families in homes or barracks. It estimates that to bring all military accommodation up to a satisfactory condition would cost £3 billion.

    Making a claim for compensation

    Since 1987, when the Crown Proceedings Act removed the “Crown Immunity,” members of the armed forces have been able to make claims for personal action against the Ministry of Defence. To process your claim, contact Accident Advice Helpline.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Accident Advice Helpline recognises the courageous and monumental contribution that the men and women of Britain’s armed forces make to the country. That’s why Accident Advice Helpline is committed to ensuring that all members of the armed forces receive adequate financial support for housing.

    It is important that all members of the armed forces receive adequate housing which complies with proper health and safety standards, as well as free from tripping hazards.

    If you are a member of the armed forces and have been placed in substandard or defective housing, then you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation. Contact Accident Advice Helpline today for more information. Our freephone lines are open 24/7 where a friendly and professional adviser is waiting to take your call. Alternatively you can find out online in 30 seconds or less, whether or not you may qualify for compensation. Accident Advice Helpline have over 13 years experience in providing compensation and with an extensive legal team, right across the UK, specialising in all areas of public injury law, so you can be assured of a transparent, efficient and reliable service.

    Date Published: December 11, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Category: Military accident claims

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.