How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Metropolitan Police pay compensation for degrading treatment of two women

    By David Brown on August 12, 2014

    A high court in London has granted compensation to two anonymous women who were subjected to poor treatment by officers investigating their respective sexual assaults. John Worboys was eventually imprisoned for life for the attacks, which were two of more than 100 assaults and rapes he was found guilty of.

    The two women have been identified only by the initials NBV and DSD, and they have each been awarded a five-figure sum by the judge presiding over the compensation case. One woman received £19,000 while the other received £22,250. The Metropolitan Police had argued that the women should not be entitled to compensation because they had already received compensation through the civil court as well as the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. However it was determined that the European law of human rights had been compromised and that both women had suffered long-lasting effects as a result of the attacks and the subsequent treatment by officers investigating the cases. The Metropolitan Police has been granted the ability to appeal against the ruling but even if they choose to do so the compensation will still be paid in respect of the degrading treatment suffered.

    How easy is it to claim compensation for mistreatment of this kind?

    It depends on the evidence that exists for degrading treatment to have taken place. Since this is a complex area it is essential to get proper advice from a professional injury compensation lawyer. This should take into account what occurred and when, and what the outcome was. There must be evidence that negligence on the part of the police officers involved took place, which will help to support your case if you decide to take it forward.

    Source: The Guardian

    Share On


    Date Published: August 12, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.