Failure to protect workers from high volumes of vehicles on site caused an accident that led to a worker having two legs amputated.
Sundorne Products (Llanidloes) Limited, a Welsh landfill company, was fined for the safety failings after the man was run over, Mold Crown Court has heard.
The man had been working at a yard at the Bryn Posteg Landfll site in Llanidloes.
Man spent six months in hospital
The worker was struck by a large shovel loader in November 2015, suffering severe injuries to his legs. Following the accident at work, he had to have both legs amputated at the mid-thigh. He also spent six months in hospital recovering.
The company, part of the Potter Group, didn’t have the correct controls in place to protect workers from on site traffic, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found.
This is despite the fact that the company had previously identified that this was a risk and had worked out measures to prevent workers being hit by vehicles.
Firms need to follow through on safety measures
Sundorne Products pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 and Section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work (1974) Act and have been fined £180,000 and ordered to pay costs of £7,657.10.
HSE inspector Mhairi Duffy said, “It is extremely important to identify how to protect your workers but you must back this up with action. This worker and his families lives have been changed forever because Sundorne Products Ltd failed to take action and protect their workers from being run over by vehicles on the site.”
“All businesses that have high volumes of vehicles on their site can learn from this case.”
Source: Health and Safety Executive
Date Published: January 30, 2017
Author: Jonathan Brown