County Durham-based Peter Wade was working on a residential property on South Parade, Croft on Tees when the incident occurred.
Man warned of possible asbestos
Mr Wade had been warned by the property owner before he began work that asbestos
might be present in the garage.
He was converting an integrated garage into a bedroom when the roof of the loft space of garage collapsed, Darlington Magistrates’ Court heard.
After the collapse, Mr Wade pulled the rest of the ceiling down, breaking it up to put in waste bags.
It was not until after he had removed the material from the site that he found it contained asbestos.
Survey should have been carried out
An Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation says Mr Wade should have made sure an asbestos survey was carried out before the work took place.
Mr Wade pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 5(1) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations.
Source: Health and Safety Executive