How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Man fined £1,900 for illegal gas work

    By David Brown on March 26, 2014

    A self-employed worker has been fined £1,900 after undertaking illegal gas work at homes which could have resulted in serious carbon monoxide poisoning.

    The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Stephen Cowell, who trades as SC Services, after working at about 40 properties in the Cumbrian town of Appleby-in-Westmorland performing illegal gas work.

    He traded despite being in violation of the law by being unregistered with Gas Safe.

    In addition, Cowell, 66, had worked on gas fires at 25 of the homes, even though he had no qualifications to undertake this work, Carlisle Magistrates’ Court was told on Wednesday, March 19.

    HSE was first told of Cowell in July 2012 after a Gas Safe Register investigator saw him removing a gas fire from a home. This sparked an investigation which showed that he had earlier been registered through his ex-employer, but that his registration had lapsed over a year previously.

    Illegal gas work placed lives in danger

    Even so, Cowell continued to undertake gas work and put lives in danger. If people had been hurt, they would have been entitled to make a personal injury claim against him.

    HSE inspector Matthew Tinsley said after the case: “Mr Cowell potentially put lives in danger by carrying out gas work he wasn’t qualified or registered to do.”

    Cowell eventually joined the Gas Safe Register in September 2012 but failed to undertake yearly gas safety checks. Later that month, he twice made false entries in the records for operating pressures.

    Cowell, pleaded guilty to a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 by not being registered to carry out gas work.

    He also pleaded guilty to two breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 by making false entries on two annual gas safety records.

    Source: HSE

    Share On


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.