A Cambridge engineer is making a work accident claim for £150,000 in compensation after suffering terrible injuries in a freak incident.
Adam Segrave was replacing an air conditioning unit with two colleagues, when one of them reached for a nitrogen gas cylinder to flush the pipes in the unit. Unfortunately the colleague used oxygen by mistake and the resulting explosion threw Mr Segrave from his ladder and caused 14% burns and numerous cuts and bruises.
He was transferred to a specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital after initially being taken to Addenbrooke’s in Cambridge.
The victim’s employers, Adcock Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, were found not to have breached any health and safety regulations, with the court hearing that the accident was due to simple human error that was the result of carelessness and not any lack of training or failure to adhere to procedure.
However, the company has said that they expect to pay their employee compensation.
Mr Segrave still suffers flashbacks to the accident and requires specialised pressure clothing to keep his burned skin as comfortable as possible.
Source: Cambridge News
Date Published: September 20, 2010
Author: David Brown