How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Making a claim against the police

    The police exist to ensure that everyone in society follows the rules of society. Their primary purpose is to protect the innocent and the vulnerable from those who might injure or otherwise take advantage of them.

    But like everyone, police officers can sometimes make mistakes by injuring innocent bystanders by accident, by using excessive force, or by making wrongful arrests. The police are not above the law, and if you feel you have been mistreated, you may be entitled to make a claim for personal injury compensation.

    What is reasonable force?

    If you are stopped by the police, there are certain procedures and rules that they must follow in their interaction with you. They must, first of all, identify themselves as a police officer and tell you why they have stopped you in order to give you a chance to explain yourself. They must only use force when strictly necessary, and this force must only be reasonable.

    Reasonable force basically means the minimum amount of force needed in order to control a crowd situation, or detain a suspect who is trying to escape. A police officer should never be violent towards you in any way unless you have behaved in a threatening manner, or unless you try to run away from their interrogation.

    How to prove unreasonable force

    If you feel you have been mistreated by the police, there are several things you can do to help support your case. As soon as the incident has happened, you should proceed to a doctor’s surgery or to A&E for a full examination and documentation of your injuries. Before leaving the scene, make sure to look around for any possible witnesses. If there are any, ask if they would be willing to be your witness and take down their details. The incident may also have been captured on CCTV.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If you feel that you have been treated unreasonably causing you mental trauma or physical injury, you may be entitled to make a claim for personal injury compensation. If you’d like to discuss your case in detail with one of our trained advisers, call Accident Advice Helpline for further information.

    We are a law firm which was set up specifically to help victims of accident or injury receive the compensation they are legally entitled to. We work on a no win, no fee basis, and are proud to be endorsed by TV personality and consumer champion Esther Rantzen. You’re under no pressure to continue with your claim by making a call; we’ll be happy to simply give you further information.

    Date Published: November 22, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.