Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Making a Claim for Compensation via the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)

If you have been injured in a hit and run or in an accident with an uninsured motorist, don’t worry: you can still claim compensation from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau. The Motor Insurers’ Bureau is funded by drivers via their insurance premiums, and ensures that no one will ever have to lose out just because there is no existing insurance policy for them to claim from.

Procedures for making a claim from the MIB

In order to make a successful claim for compensation from the MIB, there are certain procedures you must follow. Firstly, you must have made an attempt to find the other driver’s insurance details. There is a database on the Motor Insurers’ Bureau website where you can look for these. Secondly, you must have reported the incident to the police within 14 days if you have been injured, and within 5 days if there has been damage to property, or as soon as is reasonably possible.

Professional advice

Although you can claim for compensation directly from the MIB, it’s often best to consult a solicitor or other legal advisor. If you decide to commence legal procedures (for personal injury compensation, for example), you must inform the MIB that you have done so in writing within 14 days.

The amount you will receive in compensation is based on other personal injury claims of a similar nature, where injured drivers are claiming from the insurance policy of the driver who caused the accident. You will receive a sum based on your pain and suffering, and a sum based on your current and future financial losses related to the injury.

Claiming for personal injury compensation

If you’d like to find out more about claiming personal injury compensation from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau and discuss your situation in detail, contact our expert advisors at Accident Advice Helpline. They’ll be able to tell you whether or not your claim is likely to be valid, explain the claims procedure, and give you an estimate of how much compensation you could receive based on your personal circumstances and legal precedent.

Accident Advice Helpline is a law firm which specialises in personal injury compensation. We have been helping the victims of others’ negligence receive the compensation they are legally entitled to for many years, and are proud to have the endorsement of TV personality

Found this helpful? Share it!